Every morning I get my brain and my body revved up for the day by drinking a nutrient dense concoction of ingredients. Ancient wisdom has known the numerous benefits of these ingredients, that science is beginning to prove.
I started with warm lemon water and raw honey on the advice of my dear friend and holistic nutritionist Lisa Hicks, to aid with weight loss and digestive issues. Recently, my friend Carol, whose wisdom I also admire, shared with me about the benefits of adding turmeric and coconut oil. Further research led me to add more ingredients that culminated in the final recipe for the Magic Pill Morning Drink.
I immediately noticed several, life improving benefits of this brew: my brain wakes up faster, my body is more willing to start moving and my digestion gets rolling for the day. I also noticed my seasonal allergies improve after 6 months of regularly using raw, organic honey in the mix.
I personally lean toward buying organic for most food items. See the notes below for the recipe and my recommended ingredients.
Here’s a breakdown of each of the ingredients I add and the plethora of health benefits I enjoy:
Apple Cider Vinegar
The Quickie: Aids in weight loss, helps control blood sugar, promotes gut health
The Long Form: Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
The Quickie: Improves digestion, aids in better absorption of turmeric, promotes intestinal health
The Quickie: Therapeutic effects on the brain, burns more body fat, prevents infections, increases absorption of turmeric
The Quickie: Boosts immune system, aids in digestion and eases tummy troubles
The Long Form: Benefits of Ginger
I sometimes add raw, local honey to the mix to sweeten the taste and derive even more benefits. This part is optional but very delicious!
The Quickie: Improves allergy symptoms, aids in digestion, contains anti-bacterial properties
The Long Form: Benefits of Raw Honey
The Quickie: Aids digestive processes, helps in weight loss and may ward off sickness
The Long Form: Benefits of Lemon Juice
The Quickie: Alleviates joint pain, protects the brain, delays onset of Type II Diabetes
The Long Form: Benefits of Turmeric
The Quickie: Cleanses digestion, relieves constipation, sheds excess pounds
The Long Form: Benefits of Warm Water
Magic-Pill Morning Drink Recipe
- Place one cube of frozen Dorot Crushed Ginger in an 8-10 oz mug. Sure, you could peel and grate fresh ginger but who has the time or the energy in the morning? Don’t bother with dried. You are looking to get the freshness, fiber and juicy goodness from the raw stuff
- Pour 4-6 oz of water over the top of ginger. I use my Keurig on the medium mug setting
- Hug and kiss your family good morning or, if they are not up yet, do some gentle stretches to give ginger some time to defrost
- Add 1 tsp (or more) of organic, extra virgin coconut oil and stir to melt
- Sprinkle a few dashes of ground turmeric on top and stir to bind to coconut oil
- Sprinkle a dash of black pepper atop and stir
- Juice lemon, with pulp if you can, and add to the mixture
- Add a 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and stir
- Add raw, local honey to taste
My Recommended Ingredients